Saturday 1 January 2011

Congratulations to Free 2 Be!

Congrats to Paige! She completed her 365 project on December 31 with this photo:
Day 365 - The End

Paige's project is filled with great color and scenery from British Columbia, Canada. Below is her finisher's interview with some of her photos.

What inspired you to begin your 365 Project?
It’s hard to remember exactly. I joined Flickr a couple of years ago and have enjoyed it. I noticed a few people doing an image a day and thought it might be an interesting way to document a year and hopefully improve my photography at the same time.

How would you describe your photography in just a few words?
I’ve never thought about it. Eclectic, I suppose. I’ll take a photo of just about anything, except people. I’m not so comfortable with pointing the camera at humans. I tend to favour closeup photography of the things that make up our lives.

What surprised you the most about doing the 365 project?
That there are moments in the day that we would miss or forget within a short period if we didn’t pick up a camera and focus in on them. The world around us is so full of what we think is uninspiring, until we look closer at it. The most humble objects can have the most interesting angles and textures when we block out everything else.

What did you learn during the course of your project?
That I can be a bit more creative than I thought I could and that a few simple props can save an otherwise bleak day for ideas. I pretty much always carry some silly thing (Wall-E, a marble, a plastic toy camera...something) in my purse for those “this would be funny” moments. I also learned that not every image needs to be perfect to make me happy. Sometimes the imperfections add more interest.

Do you have an interesting story about taking one of your 365 photos that you would like to share?
My home city, Vancouver, hosted the winter Olympics this year, and it was the most amazing party that was put on. It was a fascinating snapshot of when our national newspaper featured the successes of the USA team on the front page. The Olympics have been held in Canada three times now and we won our first ever on home soil. We won a third gold medal this day, and yet that wonderful news bit was relegated to a small box at the top of the page and buried in deeply. The front page celebrated the success of our neighbours. The news in Canada has a tendency to be more positive than the news in other countries. I like that, and I thought that this particular case was a fascinating statement about our collective personality.
Day 50 - What Defines a Nation?

What are your future photography plans?
I’m not sure, I’m struggling right now with whether or not to continue on with another 365 and just keep going. I also want to spend some time focusing in on film a bit more. I’m concerned I might not be able to manage both, but maybe that can be my challenge for 2011. I would like to take a photography course. I’ve only ever taken a basic six evening one, and I didn’t even manage to finish that because I sprained both ankles and broke a bone in one foot part way through the class. Not being able to walk makes the field trips difficult.

Paige's favorites:
Day 341 - Window to the Soul Day 44 - Olympic Flame Day 58 - It has been a long day

Congrats again to Paige! Here is an admin favorite along with a slideshow of her complete project.

Day 320 - Point Taken Day 12 - The World is Watching

No comments:

Post a Comment