Thursday 13 January 2011

Congratulations C.Duncan!

Congratulations to Caroline! She completed her 365 Project last week with this photo:

The end of part one - 365/365

Caroline's project is full of color and creativity. She kindly agreed to answer our finisher interview questions and provide her gorgeous collection of favorites. I am excited that she has decided to continue with another Project 365 and I am looking forward to seeing it unfold!

What inspired you to begin your 365 Project?
I bought a Nikon D5000 in October 2009, after having an interest in photography for years. I was a complete newbie to anything beyond point and shoot and found that I wasn’t picking up the camera as much as I’d like to. In January 2010 I made it my new year’s resolution that I’d try to take more photos, and I started going out a lot at the start of the month taking pics.

Poking around Flickr I saw there were lots of people who had started a 365. I really liked the idea of it, so I decided I’d get on board and do one too, a bit more than a week after everyone else had started, as a way of challenging myself to take a photo every day and learn as much as I could about my camera.

How would you describe your photography in just a few words?
Colourful. Probably saturated. Probably TOO saturated sometimes.

What surprised you the most about doing the 365 project?
That I was able to finish and didn’t abandon it half way through!

What did you learn during the course of your project?
So much. So, so much. Mostly about light and composition. A lot about post processing. After I made a mosaic of the entire 365 days, I’ve been studying it, and I can actually pin point the day when a lot of things just “clicked” for me and how my photos changed after that. I’m actually quite ashamed of the photos from the first three months, in hindsight!

Do you have an interesting story about taking one of your 365 photos that you would like to share?I took this photo quite quickly one day (so the subject wouldn’t melt) when I was desperate for something to photograph and remembered I had something colourful in the freezer:

www.flickr.com/photos/43968744@N06/4625695237/

It has turned out to be my most “Interesting” photo, according to Flickr’s “Interestingness” and pretty much zero effort went into the shot.

What are your future photography plans?
I feel like I have so much more left to learn, and I’m afraid I’ll get lazy again if I don’t keep taking a photo every day, so I have decided to embark on a second 365 project. I began this one on 1 January 2011 because my inner control freak HATED that my 365 wasn’t a nice, neat, seamless calendar year. So for a bit over a week my two 365 projects had an overlap.

Some of my favourites:

Inspired by a Flickr contact, I got into playing with long exposures a little and I was thrilled by how this one came out:

Yarra River long exposure - 112/365

I got up quite early on the first day of a Queensland holiday to capture this sunrise. Looking at always makes me wish I was still there:

Palm Cove sunrise III - 114/365

I figured out selective colouring. I don’t read instruction books. If I had I might have worked it out sooner:
Pink - 187/365

This is a photo I took for a Monthly Scavenger Hunt clue. As soon as I saw the straws for sale I knew what I would do with it. I was very pleased the vision in my head came out when I edited the photo.


I love the shadows here and the enthusiasm of my little one:
Scooting - 266/365

No comments:

Post a Comment