What inspired you to begin your 365 Project?
On January 1st, my friend Steve (dcis_steve) called me on convinced me to do it. I hadn't even considered it ahead of time. So I just kinda started without thinking about it too much.
How would you describe your photography in just a few words?
Bright, crisp, I don't know.
What surprised you the most about doing the 365 project?
There were a lot of surprises but it was more challenging than I thought it would be...I guess because I didn't think about it ahead of time. Some days it was the absolute highlight of my day. Some days I completely dreaded it.
What did you learn during the course of your project?
I learned a lot! Here are a few things that stand out to me:
- to see natural light better
- to previsualize an image before I even grab the camera
- to shoot less frames to get an image I want. My kids got tired of being a subject. We made an agreement that I only get 4 shots to get a picture. Talk about pressure! I could do it though.
- Process files much quicker
- to find an acceptable image almost anywhere/anytime.
- to see my surroundings very differently
Do you have an interesting story about taking one of your 365 photos that you would like to share?
I have a few but most will only be interesting to me. On day 19, I witnessed a police chase and capture of a bank robber. That was pretty cool. I was stuck in traffic so it made it easy to get my camera out to capture the scene.
What are your future photography plans?
To keep on shooting. I won't be doing a 365 again though. I really like portraits and sort of purposely avoided them during this project because I wanted to hone other skills. I want to get back to that. I am considering doing a 100 Strangers project.