Saturday 1 January 2011

Congratulations to Chris Maki!

Congrats to Chris! He completed his 365 project on December 31 with this photo:
365/365 - Three Sixty Five

Chris' project is filled with scenery around Alberta, Canada as well as some good work with flash. Below is his finisher's interview along with some of his photos.

What inspired you to begin your 365 Project?
My good friend Jason and I were talking about photography, and suggested I check out our mutual friend Erin's husband Dustin's Project 365. I started following his photostream in my RSS reader about a quarter of the way into his project. As 2009 was coming to a close, I started to toy with the idea of doing my own 365 as a way to further my knowledge and skills. On January 1, 2010 I was sitting around watching TV; and at around 8:00pm I remembered that I was going to start this project. I went to my basement and took my first shot.
1/365 - A new hat for a new year.

How would you describe your photography in just a few words?
Developmental, divergent, determined.

What surprised you the most about doing the 365 project?
I was most surprised by my ability to see it through to completion…That is, provided that I shoot something today, December 31st. I'm pretty sure I'll get around to it though.

What did you learn during the course of your project?
I've learned so much during the course of this project, I'm not sure I could quantify it all. There were huge developments in both my creative and technical areas, as well as personal development due to the discipline required to complete such a project. Everyone makes their own rules when doing one of these projects, but mine were quite strict. I would shoot something everyday before midnight in the timezone I was in. I wouldn't necessarily publish that day, definitely not while traveling.

Do you have an interesting story about taking one of your 365 photos that you would like to share?
While I flirted with the idea of giving up several times over the course of the year, no one day was harder than day 296.
296/365 - Tristesse
On this day my mother passed away unexpectedly. The one thing that kept me going was how supportive of my photography she was and knowing that she would have wanted me to continue.

What are your future photography plans?
I plan to continue shooting and developing my skills to the point where the income from photography outweighs the cost of new gear. I'm not sure if this will be through wedding photography, portraiture or fine art, but that's the plan for now.

Congrats again to Chris! Here is the admin favorites along with the slide show of Chris' completed project.

155/365 - Chevrolet 305/365 - Hemingray 45 291/365 - Infrastructure II

No comments:

Post a Comment