Saturday 1 January 2011

Congratulations to The Cleveland Kid!

Congratulations to Tim, he completed his 365 Project today! Tim's stream is a wonderful visual diary of his year, and I really enjoyed seeing his take on midwestern photography- his love for his surroundings seems to come through his photos. Tim has done some freelance sport photos this year with great results. He also coupled photos with songs of the day, a practice that I find really fun and creative. He also has plenty of great black and white photos and architectural images in his stream. Check out his project!

Here's his final project shot, his finisher's interview, some of his favorite photos from the year and a slideshow of his entire project.



What inspired you to begin your 365 Project?
Last Christmas I got a new camera and happened to hear about one of the 365 groups on Flickr and thought it might be fun to see how far I could get…I really had no idea that I would stick through to the end of this project!

How would you describe your photography in just a few words?
My photography is very urban in nature; I try and find the beauty in midwest city living and the sprawling suburbs that surround them.

What surprised you the most about doing the 365 project?
My biggest surprise during the project was how I really had to work to create new scenes for the viewer. One rule I had was never to duplicate an image, but that led me to explore more areas nearby other shots I took and thus made me more aware of my surroundings in the city. I tried to look at it from the vantage point of the viewer…perhaps they've never been to Cleveland, or maybe they have and just never saw the areas I photographed. I wanted to mainly get people interested and excited about the city and the fact that it offers so many visually stimulating things to take pictures of.

What did you learn during the course of your project?
I learned that not ever shot is going to be a gem. There were countless times where I would come home from work, uninterested in making a really good effort at my 365 and just shot whatever I could find.

Do you have an interesting story about taking one of your 365 photos that you would like to share?
I sure can…on the 90th day of 365, a few friends and I climbed up this abandoned building that will be getting knocked down soon and we got the most incredible view of the city that I've ever seen. I put together a panorama and added it as "90/365: Conquered." Inside the building was just gross…you could smell the mold and asbestos, and to this day I'm not sure what I touched in the stairwells on the way up because it was completely pitch black…all in all though it was worth it for the view of Cleveland, one that won't exist much longer.

90/365: Conquered

What are your future photography plans?
Well I'm planning on doing a 365 for 2011. Other than that I've taken up shooting with 35mm film as well as started up some freelance sports photography work on the side. I'd like to start learning how to process my own film too, so we'll see!

------------

360 -

360/365: The Frozen Lighthouse Of Cleveland

A now famous lighthouse in Cleveland was completely frozen over on Lake Erie and it's been the subject of many photos including National Geographic. I remember walking very cautiously in the windy and icy conditions to get this shot and freezing my tail off.

260 -

260/365: Lights In The House

My girlfriend took me to one of her favorite places in Wisconsin, House on the Rock. This carousel was filled with all sorts of eye catching treasures…toys, diamonds, mirrors, and I had to get a shot of it at full speed; which considering this was a long exposure photo was about two miles an hour.

79 -

79/365: Van Buren

This photo is a bit deceiving. My buddy's feet are in the shot, but what you don't see to the left of the photo is the thirty foot drop into a small creek. Located in Van Buren, Ohio, the landscape offers so many cool shots.

259 -

259/365: Don't Look Down

I'd never been to Chicago before this day, and I took some free time and went to see the Sears/Willis Tower. If you ever get the chance to do the glass floor at the top, do it. Take a deep breath, and do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment