Sunday 15 August 2010

Congratulations tdw!

Congratulations to Titus! He just completed his second 365 and began his third! I have been a fan of his stream for almost two years, and it has been wonderful to follow his progress and explorations into different styles of photography and techniques. He has done some amazing portraiture work this year, often using costumes and settings to create conceptual, stunning photos. He also captured many beautiful seascapes. He recently moved I'm really looking forward to seeing his new hometown through his camera lens.

Titus answered the following questions about his experience with his 365 Project:

What inspired you to begin your 365 Project?
There are a number of answers for this. I wanted an excuse to practice my photographic skills, both technically and artistically. I was going through some difficult things with my circle of friends at the time, and was looking for a hobby to focus on. I had never heard of a 365 project before, and stumbled across someone (I don't even remember who) that had done it and was enthusiastic about the results.

How would you describe your photography in just a few words?
I'm happiest when I'm taking portraits, and I approach portraiture with a lot of technical tricks (lighting and post-processing) to help bring out drama, mood, and story.

What surprised you the most about doing the 365 project?
The biggest surprise for me was (and still is) the turn toward professional photography. I'm hoping to keep going with regular practice and some paid work on the side, building my skills and portfolio, and possibly move into full-time work at some point in the (far) future.

What did you learn during the course of your project?
This year I've really internalized a lot of important things to do with lighting and lens choices, more than anything else.

Do you have an interesting story about taking one of your 365 photos that you would like to share?
Day 237 and some of its surroundings basically killed me. This was part of the largest professional job I've had (largest by far), and the amount of planning, prep, and post-processing that went into it (and the rest of the job) ate up all of my spare time for weeks. This was also the period where my wife was starting to think that we might not have to be in San Diego for her graduate studies any more, so my focus on that photography gig then shifted to being job hunting, interviews, and relocation. As I finish up my 365, I'm three days away from starting my new job in New York City. The last few months have been a complete whirlwind, ever since the Girl's Night Out shoot.

What are your future photography plans?
Especially right in the vicinity of Day 320 or so I really lagged this year, and I've done a terrible job of keeping up on flickr. But having just moved to a new and beautiful city, I've definitely found more interest, so I expect to keep on going with a Year 3, and hope to find a space that I can use professionally in NYC.

His favorites:
Day 107 - The Holiday Spirit

This seems to be the self-portrait that people reference most often when they browse through my 365.

Day 174 - Fatale

This is quite possibly my favorite of all my shots ever. I'd probably reprocess it a little differently now-a-days, but it's still a definite favorite.

Day 276 - Jamey

I love the color and the editorial quality of this. This shoot made me think that working editorial photography for a magazine would be great, as a "Someday, Maybe" sort of idea.

Day 348 - Classic Red

In the middle of all of the planning and moving and lack of photographic work in the last couple months, this was one of the very few times when I really felt like (Victoria and) I really did something, and put some effort into it. The response from flickr was extraordinarily flattering.

Congratulations again to tdw! Below are his final shot, two of my favorites and a slideshow of his year.

Day 365 - Lessons and Priorities
Day 240 - Little Red Day 197 - Spring Dawn on the Bay


No comments:

Post a Comment